If you are experiencing occasional or recurring crashing issues, we recommend doing the following.
BOOT IN SAFE MODE AND TRY AGAIN
If your last session ended because of a crash, the next time you launch the sim you will be prompted to continue in Safe Mode or Normal Mode. Select Continue in Safe Mode and try again.
Microsoft Flight Simulator stopped crashing in Safe Mode
When launching Microsoft Flight Simulator in Safe Mode, mods from the Community folder and third party content from the marketplace will be temporarily deactivated. If the sim stops crashing in Safe Mode, reactivate your Community and 3rd party content one by one to find out the culprit.
Microsoft Flight Simulator keeps crashing in Safe Mode
If the sim keeps crashing in Safe Mode, please go through the checklist below to ensure that no essential applications or updates are missing.
1. UNINSTALL PLUG-INS
Safe Mode doesn't deactivate plug-ins and software additions that allow for the customization or add new functions to Microsoft Flight Simulator. If the sim keeps crashing in Safe Mode uninstall freeware and payware plugged into the base sim or your peripherals, then try again.
- Examples of popular plug-ins/software
- Liveries Manager
- Self Loading Cargo
- ATC Renamer
- Pilot Path Recorder
- Weather Force
*Navigraph Users, use NavData Nav Center to remove the NG database.
2. MAKE SURE LANGUAGE PACK (US) IS INSTALLED ON YOUR SYSTEM (ALL VERSIONS)
Microsoft Flight Simulator cannot run without the English (United States) Language Package.
- Go to Language Settings > Speech > Manage Voice
- Click on Add voices
- In the search bar type "English"
- Install the English (United States) Language Pack
3. INSTALL PENDING UPDATES
- Click on Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left-hand side corner of your screen)
- Select Settings
- Stay on Windows UpdateGo to Update & Security
- Click the Check for Updates button.
- Wait until the verification is done
4. INSTALL STORE UPDATES AND SIGN OUT
- Open the Microsoft Store app on your computer.
- In the Windows Search Bar, type "Store."
- Click on Microsoft Store and select "Open" in the menu
- In the top right-hand side corner of the Microsoft Store, click on the three-dot menu
- Go to Downloads and updates.
- Click Get updates then Update all and wait for the updates to install.
- Once the updates are installed, click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on your email address.
- Click on Sign out.
5. SYNCHRONIZE TIME SETTINGS
- Go back to Start, then select Settings > Time & Language.
- Select Date & Time and toggle the “Set time automatically setting" and “Set time zone automatically” to ON.
- Click on Synchronize your clock to synchronize your system's clock with an Internet time server.
- Then click Region, double-check that your country or region is correctly set up (for example if you live in Canada, make sure that the region isn’t automatically set to the USA or vice-versa)
6. REBOOT THE COMPUTER
Please do not skip this step, as it is to ensure all changes are correctly applied before installing the Xbox app and logging in to the Microsoft Store app.
7. INSTALL THE XBOX APP
If you have purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator via the Microsoft Store or you redeemed the code on your Microsoft account, install the Xbox App.
- Download & Install the Xbox app from this page: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games
- Reboot your computer
- Sign in to the Xbox app with the email address used to purchase the sim/redeem the code.
8. SIGN IN TO THE MICROSOFT STORE APP
- Open the Microsoft Store app.
- Click on the icon in the top right corner, then click on Sign in.
- Sign in with the Microsoft account used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator.
9. REBOOT THE COMPUTER
Please do not skip this step, as it is to ensure the new login details are correctly applied.
10. LAUNCH MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR AND TRY AGAIN
After rebooting the computer, you can launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from the Xbox App or the store. If the problem persists, search the Bugs & Issues forum and visit the knowledge base.
- All versions - Sim freezes or crashes before loading fully
- All versions - Crashing/CTDs issues - Basic Troubleshooting
- All versions - Crashing/CTDs issues - Advanced Troubleshooting