Having trouble installing a game from the Xbox app on your Windows 10 device? Try the following solutions.
RESTART YOUR DEVICE
As basic as this is, a simple restart can set many things right.
UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE GAME
If you're having trouble getting a game to play, uninstalling and reinstalling the game might help. Occasionally, game files may get corrupted or altered, especially if you've had a malware problem or are running a game modification on your device.
FOR GAME PASS GAMES, CHECK THE STATUS OF YOUR PLAN
- Make sure you’re signed in to your Microsoft account in the Microsoft Store and/or the Xbox app—whichever you’re installing from.
- Make sure your Xbox Game Pass subscription is current by signing in and checking the status.
- Make sure your device is online. If needed, follow the steps in:
DO YOU HAVE ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS ON YOUR DEVICE?
DID YOUR DEVICE RESTART DURING GAME INSTALLATION?
INSTALLATION PROBLEMS DUE TO STORAGE SPACE
Open Settings on your device using one of the following options:
- Select the link in the “Selected drive is not set up to install games” message
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard or device, and then select Settings
- Select System > Storage, and then select Change where new content is saved under More storage settings.
- Under New apps will be saved to, choose the drive to which you want to save the game content.
STILL HAVING PROBLEMS?
If the problem persists after that, delete the Gaming Services registry keys and reinstall the Gaming Services app via Powershell.
- In the Windows search bar, type Windows PowerShell
- In the menu, select "Run as administrator"
- In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:
get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
- In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:
- Click Install** to install Gaming Services (select Yes if you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt)
- Restart your device.
**The install button is expected to disappear once you have successfully updated to the correct version.