WHAT'S A GAMERTAG?
A gamertag is your alter ego in the Xbox world.
It's the name that will appear in the top right corner of your screen in-game, and to other players when using the multiplayer environment.
It's also the name that appears in the top corner of the Xbox App
HOW DO I GET A GAMERTAG?
We’ll create a gamertag for you the first time you sign in to the Xbox App or Microsoft Flight Simulator with your Microsoft Account.
I DON'T HAVE AN XBOX CONSOLE, WHY DO I NEED A GAMERTAG?
You will need a Microsoft Account to take advantage of most of the services that Xbox provides – purchasing content, connecting with friends, gaming online, using cloud saves, and more.
Signing up for a Microsoft account and using it on your Console or PC allows you to access Xbox Live, which means you can start earning achievements while playing games too.
A Microsoft Account comprises Xbox + other Microsoft products—Windows, Office, Outlook, Skype and more.
If you already have a Microsoft account that you use for logging into Windows or Skype, we recommend that you use the same account for Xbox that you use for everything else. This is because Xbox is more than just the console these days; there are Xbox enabled games on mobile, on PC, even a couple on Nintendo Switch. To keep all of your purchases, your friends, and your achievements together, it's best to stick to one account.
IS IT REQUIRED TO SIGN IN TO A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT TO PLAY MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR?
Yes, it is a requirement on all platforms (Microsoft Store and Steam)
WHAT IS MY GAMERTAG USED FOR IN MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR?
Your gamertag is used to identify your account and deliver your in-game content (Upgrades, Paid DLCs, etc...)
When you purchase additional content from the Marketplace, the entitlements are automatically redeemed onto your gamertag for that platform. This is how the game knows what content to deliver to your Content Manager when you install or update Microsoft Flight Simulator. Your gamertag also unlocks your access to Online Services.
- Marketplace purchases are not cross-platform.
- Even if you own the game on both the Microsoft Store and Steam, you will only be able to access the additional content on the platform used to make the purchase, even if you use the same gamertag on both platforms.
- There is no license sharing
- Content purchased on the Marketplace is not shared with other profiles using the same PC or console.
- Online services are only available for the account that purchased a license.
I DON'T LIKE THE GAMERTAG YOU CREATED FOR ME, CAN I CHANGE IT?
Yes, you can personalize your gamertag.
- Sign in to the Choose your new gamertag page with the Microsoft account email address and password associated with your gamertag.
- Enter your own gamertag or select one of the suggested ones:
- if you’re making your own, type in the new gamertag, and then select Check Availability. If you receive a message that the gamertag is already taken, you’ll need to create another one.
- If you want to use one of the gamertags that Xbox provides, but you don’t like any of the suggestions, select Refresh to see additional gamertag suggestions.
- Once you find an available gamertag, select Claim it.