In this article, you will learn how to troubleshoot loading issues such as:
- Being stuck on the initial loading screen
- Long loading times
- Being stuck on a black screen
- Being stuck on a loading screen after clicking "Fly"
SIGN IN WITH YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT
To sync your settings and purchases across all your devices, sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Learn how to sign in with your Microsoft account on your Windows 11 device
- Learn how to sign in with your Microsoft account on your Windows 10 device
RESTART YOUR DEVICE
As basic as this is, a simple restart can set many things right.
MAKE SURE WINDOWS IS UP TO DATE
- Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
- On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.
- On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available for your device.
- Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.
- Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.
For more info, go to Windows Update
SYNCHRONIZE TIME SETTINGS
- Go back to Start, then select Settings > Time & Language.
- Select Date & Time and toggle the “Set time automatically setting" and “Set time zone automatically” to ON.
- Click on Synchronize your clock to synchronize your system's clock with an Internet time server.
- Then click Region, double-check that your country or region is correctly set up (for example if you live in Canada, make sure that the region isn’t automatically set to the USA or vice-versa)
INSTALL THE XBOX APP
- On your Windows device, select Search on the taskbar, type Xbox, and then select it from the list. If the app isn’t installed, you can get it for free from the Microsoft Store.
MAKE SURE BOTH THE XBOX AND GAMING SERVICES APPS ARE UP TO DATE
- Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app.
- Select Library.
- Under Updates & downloads, check if there are any updates available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app. If an update is available, select Update.
MAKE SURE YOU'RE SIGNED IN TO THE XBOX APP AND THE STORE WITH THE SAME ACCOUNT
To make sure your permissions for the game can be validated, be sure to sign in to both the Store and the Xbox app using the account that was used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator.
For help with signing in, go to: Sign in to Xbox
RESTORE THE SIM TO ITS VANILLA STATE
If you are still stuck on the loading screen or the sim crashes before loading fully after exhausting the basic steps listed above, you must restore the sim to its vanilla state (i.e. undo any modification made to your config files by yourself or by a plug-in you use, remove plug-ins and software additions that allow for the customization or add new functions to Microsoft Flight Simulator, uninstall Navigraph and use NavData Nav Center to remove the Navigraph database etc...)
You'll find step-by-step instructions in our guide "How to restore the sim to its vanilla state."
NOTE: Vanilla ≠ "without community folder". Please make sure to follow the guide attentively.
If the problem persists after restoring the sim to its vanilla state, check the additional troubleshooting steps you'll find in the following knowledge base articles:
- How to get past the "Checking for Updates" screen
- How to fix a black loading screen
- How to troubleshoot crashing on the loading screen issues
- All versions - Long loading screens
If none of the solutions listed in the knowledge base fixed your issue, head to the Bugs & Issues forum. There you can search if a bug or issue has already been reported and add your vote or create your own topic by following the template.